DUI Lawyer In Milwaukee, WI
Defending Against Drunk Driving Charges in Milwaukee County
In Wisconsin, operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol (OWI) is a serious offense. Whether you were coming from Milwaukee's Summerfest or a Brewers game, the penalty is all the same.
Depending on your circumstances, if you're convicted, you could be sentenced to jail, prison, and/or fined. Additionally, an offense could trigger a driver's license suspension, which means you would not be able to drive your car, making it challenging to take care of necessary tasks. An OWI charge in Milwaukee does not mean you're guilty, and it may be possible to fight the accusations to maintain your freedoms and driving privileges. Mounting an effective defense against driving under the influence charge requires the help of a seasoned Milwaukee DUI lawyer who understands the criminal justice system.
At Ahmad & Associates, our Milwaukee DUI attorneys have taken on various drunk driving matters, and we have the skills and knowledge needed to competently handle your case. When you choose us, you'll get personalized representation while also benefitting from our team approach. Our attorneys work together to uncover the holes in the prosecution's case and deliver the compassionate and aggressive defense you need to fight your charge. We believe in the presumption of innocence, and we will work hard toward a favorable outcome on your behalf.
Ready to choose us? Click here to see reviews of many in your circumstance who did.
If you're ready to challenge the OWI allegations made against you, call us at (414) 928-7771.
What Is an OWI?
In Wisconsin, a person can be charged with operating a vehicle while under the influence if they have drugs and/or alcohol in their system when they get behind the wheel. This offense is also referred to as driving under the influence (DUI) or drunk driving. Regardless of what you call it, the penalties are harsh and could have a significant impact on your life.
The law provides that you are committing an OWI offense when you drive or operate a vehicle while impaired. You could be charged whether you are actually in physical control of the car while it's moving or you manipulate one of the controls necessary to make the vehicle drive.
Impaired driving means:
- The amount of alcohol in your system was at or above the legal limit (.08 for people 21 years of age or older, .04 for drivers of commercial vehicles);
- The number of drugs and/or alcohol compromised your ability to safely drive a car; or
- The number of drugs in your system was detectable
People under 21 years of age cannot have any amount of alcohol in their system while they're driving. If they do, they could be charged with an offense.
What Are the OWI/DUI Penalties in Wisconsin if Convicted?
If you're charged with an OWI, the penalties you could face depend on your specific circumstances.
- A fine between $150 and $300
- If a minor under 16 years of age was in the vehicle at the time of the offense, the fine increases to between $350 and $1,100
- Driver's license suspension for up to 9 months
Second OWI within 10 years of the first:
- A fine between $350 and $1,100
- A jail term between 5 days and 6 months
- Driver's license suspension for up to 18 months
- A fine between $600 and $2,000
- A jail term between 45 days and 1 year
- Driver's license suspension for up to 3 years
For each subsequent offense, the penalties continue to increase.
How Can A DUI Lawyer In Milwaukee Help You?
If you have gotten charged with a DUI, you will need professional legal help to ensure that your rights and your future are protected. Your lawyer will provide you with important legal counseling to help get you through this challenging time, and will fiercely represent your court and negotiate on your behalf.
Ways that a DUI lawyer can help you include:
- Your lawyer will examine your case and check the evidence being used against you is legitimate.
- Your lawyer will gather evidence to defend your case, which will add to a creating strong legal strategy.
- Your lawyer will be there to answer your questions and provide you with clarity.
- Your lawyer can serve as an emotional support system for you.
- Your lawyer will represent you in court and strongly negotiate on your behalf.
Although we have helped many people who have faced DUI charges, we know the importance of giving each case the individual attention that it requires. Contact our DUI attorneys in Milwaukee today for a free initial consultation.
Fight Your DUI Charge with Help from Ahmad & Associates
Our Milwaukee DUI lawyers understand the seriousness of a charge, which is why we will provide a dedicated defense for your case. We will stand up for you from beginning to end, with a focus on protecting your rights.
- Five Things To Consider Before Operating While Under the Influence
- What Happens If My Kids Are With Me When I Am Charged With an OWI?
Discuss your case with our team by calling us at
or submitting an online contact form.
Passionate About Helping PeopleWe Will Guide You Through the Process
Results-Driven Legal Advocacy
Great Reputation Within the Community
Our Firm Takes a Team Approach
Aggressive & Effective Criminal Defense